There was a pilot initiative, introduced by a senior company executive. It very quickly gridlocked as a fragmented discussion around tools. We needed to pull people out of the detail and get them to agree on the purpose of the pilot. We got agreement on the Need and then went back down their Spine towards Tools.
- How can we measure and understand team productivity (instead of individual effort)?
- Can we satisfy the current charge-back accounting model whilst doing this?
- Estimate in size, derive duration.
- Measure team throughput not individual input.
- Shared definition of “Done” across the whole team.
- Estimate story points before starting a story, and then again once it is completed.
- Team review of pre vs post point estimates to see what can be learned.
- Iteration + Backlog burn charts
- Confluence Wiki (to record learnings)
The team is now focused on the Needs and is experimenting with different ways they can tweak the practices and tooling to make them more valuable to the team, whilst still satisfying the higher level need of management.
They have this Spine as an artifact that is brought out at times where there is disagreement of confusion about the correct way forward.